Experiences Involving Fitness Activities in New York City
These information pages can help you get started in learning about some of the laws and registration requirements that may apply to your experiences on Airbnb. These pages include summaries of some of the rules that may apply to different sorts of activities, and contain links to government resources that you may find helpful.
Please understand that these information pages are not comprehensive, and are not legal advice. If you are unsure about how local laws or this information may apply to you or your Experience, we encourage you to check with official sources or seek legal advice.
Please note that we don’t update this information in real time, so you should confirm that the laws or procedures have not changed recently.*
Do I need any other type of license or permit to host a fitness activity or provide fitness instruction?
You don’t need a state or city license or permit in order to provide fitness instruction to your guests.
If you want, you can get a training certification from a reputable accredited program through the National Commission for Certifying Agencies. In all cases, you should ensure that you have adequate insurance to cover you in case a guest is injured or there’s any property damage. Also consider completing an adult CPR course, like the one offered by the American Red Cross, in case there’s an emergency.
Is there anything else I should be thinking about before hosting a fitness activity?
Yes. First and foremost, your guest’s health and safety should always come first. How you handle your experience and listing is up to you, but we encourage you to:
- Spell out in your listing the fitness level guests should have to participate in your Experience;
- Explain what guests should expect from your fitness activity, including the duration and intensity of any cardiovascular activity and types of strength-training;
- Make sure that your guests participate in exercises that are appropriate for their level of fitness;
- Consider starting your fitness activity at a slower pace to evaluate your guest’s fitness level;
- Take appropriate precautions with equipment, facilities and environmental factors;
- If medical attention is needed, direct your guest to a hospital or reputable doctor. Do not attempt to provide physical therapy advice or attempt to make a medical diagnosis yourself unless you are qualified to do so; and
- Keep your Guest’s health information confidential.
Example : Ali, who has just received her accreditation from the American Council on Exercise, is leading a boot camp. Her listing makes clear that guests should be properly fit and conditioned to handle a 2 hour workout that starts slowly with dynamic flexibility exercises but goes on to running, resistance bands, body weight and partner exercises. Ali has thoroughly scouted the area for hazards and will bring an emergency first aid kit. Ali is taking the right steps to keep her guests safe.
*Airbnb is not responsible for the reliability or correctness of the information contained in any links to third party sites (including any links to legislation and regulations).
Other information you'd like to see? Share your feedback at firstname.lastname@example.org.