Please read the listing details. Paul's Room-- and our house!-- is convenient to the highway exit & nearby Asheville area or Black Mountain/Montreat. It's an easy walk or VERY quick drive to groceries, dining, gas, drug stores / necessities. You’ll love our garden, the proximity to Warren Wilson College (Swannanoa Chamber Music Festival, Swannanoa Gathering, Old Farmer's Ball, MFA Residencies) and the venue White Horse Black Mountain. Our place is good for solo adventurers and cozy couples.
Our house, the Chrysalis Cottage, has only 3 rooms, a great room in the front, our master in the back, and the smaller Paul's Room. The pictures depict the space accurately, but not necessarily its usage. This is a real homestay and we come and go. We study. We work. We do projects indoors and out. We neglect sorting through the mail. We are sometimes inefficient about putting away things we've used. We do consistently make space for others and keep chaos down to a dull roar. Belba lives everywhere in the house. Nothing makes her happier than having someone to hiss at, and she will pretend she wants affection from you. (Don't book if you are highly allergic, though.)
Servicios y zonas comunes
Please look at listing photos: enter over the deck and through the screen porch. You get to use our great room and Paul's room, plus a screened in porch, a back deck, and our gardens. Paul's Room is clean, simple, and comfortable in the sleeping-in-the-spare room way. Brother/in-law Paul has stayed here as long as 3 months comfortably. You have a chifforobe with room for hanging clothes on 2 sides, plus 3 drawers, and a center pull-down organizer space. There is a ceiling fan and 2 generous windows with screens, but we DO NOT have air conditioning, although this is generally unnecessary in the mountains. There is a ceiling light and there are 2 smaller lamps for better ambiance. The room also contains items too handy or too difficult to part with, but these are organized and do not impede traffic or use of the room. The bathroom is just outside your bedroom door. It is used by us and our visitors as a powder room. The tub/shower is all yours as are the towels. You have a small coffee maker in your room. You may also use the microwave in the kitchen. We prefer to avoid more elaborate kitchen use, but an accommodate you if you have a need. We can and will make room in the fridge, an outdoor fridge, or in a pinch, a cooler. We can arrange laundry use for a modest fee if you are here for a week or more.
Atención a los huéspedes
Our schedules and our own outings away from home vary. You may run into us a lot or very little. If we are home when you are here, we will be happy to offer you what guidance or direction we can to make your stay more comfortable or to help you orient to the area. We advise that if you are planning to see that largest house in the US, you should purchase your tickets at least a week in advance to get a better price, but either way plan on spending more than you thought you would. We've lived here 20 years and still don't know everything, but would be happy to advise you of some places to go and things to see. If you'd prefer less interaction, we will not be offended.
Otros aspectos destacables
We have too darn many vehicles, but there is no problem with you bringing another. If at any time you will have more than one, though, please alert us so we can arrange accordingly or guide you to the best arrangement. We do not have a rooster, but a neighbor does. When it crows at terrible times and places, we thank it for a new generations of pullets. We live pretty much equidistant between our one fire station and the other. When they go storming by in whichever direction, we wish well to whomever they are off to help and thank our lucky stars that this time it is not us.
- Check-in/check-out can be flexible.
- Send me a contact message, because I sometimes can accommodate a same-day booking.
- 1-3 guests for short visits okay. No additional overnight guests.
- Our work and school days vary, but in general, quiet hours are 9 or 10 pm to 6am, with some daytime study hours occurring.
- Please don't book if the total weight on our futon would exceed 400 pounds.
- Responsible alcohol consumption by persons of age is okay, but no reckless or disruptive behavior, no drugs, no disrespect for our home or neighborhood.
- Belba is strictly an indoor cat and lives everywhere in the house indiscriminately. Please do not book if allergic.
- If, staying a week or more, you may do lightly soiled laundry only, $5/load, wash & dry.
- In the cold weather months, you may adjust the thermostat, but no one other than your hosts may set the house on fire. Please do not tend the wood stove. Please no candles or open flames at any time of year.
- GPS has trouble finding us. Waze and G*maps work better. Still, finding our back driveway proves a challenge for some. On booking, PLEASE go to the Location section of the listing for details.
Boring middle aged healthcare professional. Hiking gardening volunteering hobbies...blah blah blah. Starting artsy-crafty projects that should have been underway months ago.... My ambitions focus on travel more than achievements and things. Too many destinations too little PTO. When we travel, we look for a place to sleep and perform ablutions, and it needn't be plush and posh. Camping, backpacking, and hostels have been our style.